Casie and her German Shorthaired Pointer (GSP) Kimbee enjoy volunteering on the Orlando Airport Therapy Dog team.
In this 17th episode of Therapy Dog Talk, I chat with Casie and her German Shorthaired Pointers (GSPs), Kimbee and Kenobi, about their experiences as therapy dogs. Casie explains that she began training her dogs for therapy work after losing her sister and has volunteered with them in different places.
We talk about their time in nursing homes, hospitals, and how they later joined the MCO Paw Pilots program at Orlando International Airport. Casie tells us how being a therapy dog can affect both the dog and the handler emotionally and mentions the strong connection Kimbee has with children during visits.
Casie offers helpful advice for those thinking about starting a therapy dog team, like knowing your dog’s personality and setting achievable goals. She reminds us to be patient during training since it may not always go smoothly.
We also discuss Casie’s involvement with St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a fundraiser for children’s cancer research. In memory of her sister, they’ve raised over $120,000. We end our conversation by explaining how to support the foundation and keep up with Kimbee and Kenobi’s experiences.
By listening to this episode, you’ll learn more about the amazing work of therapy dog teams, the effort that goes into training, and the positive impact they make on the people they visit.
In this episode, we discuss …
- What it’s been like to train two German Shorthaired Pointers (GSPs) for therapy dog work.
- What signs she looked for to see which environment Kimbee would do best in.
- How you can help fight kids’ cancer by donating to St. Baldrick’s through Casie’s campaign.
Key moments you won’t want to miss:
- [01:25] Casie tells us about her past and why she decided to get a therapy dog after her sister passed away.
- [03:52] Kimbee’s training story as a rescue dog and the bond they built while training together.
- [06:15] How Kimbee acts differently when she knows it’s time for therapy dog work.
- [06:58] Casie talks about her time volunteering with Kimbee at a nursing home and how it affects them emotionally.
- [09:16] The switch to working at Orlando International Airport in the MCO Paw Pilots program and how it’s different from other places they’ve volunteered.
- [11:29] Kimbee’s favorite part of being a therapy dog, especially her connection with kids during visits.
- [12:42] Great advice for people interested in therapy dog teams, like knowing your dog and setting realistic goals.
- [13:39] The challenges of training various dog breeds for therapy work and realizing that training isn’t always a straight path.
- [15:30] Casie’s work with St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a fundraiser for children’s cancer research, and the money they’ve raised in her sister’s memory.
- [17:00] How to keep up with Kimbee and Kenobi’s therapy dog adventures and support St. Baldrick’s Foundation by following @pawsitivepointers on Instagram.
I hope you enjoy this episode as much as I do. Give it a watch or a listen and then let me know in the community which part you found the most helpful!
Mentioned in this episode:
- Alliance of Therapy Dogs
- Orlando International Airport’s Paw Pilots
- St. Baldrick’s (Casie’s Fundraising Page)
Rate, Review, and Follow the Podcast
Therapy Dog Talk is a podcast where I interview a different team each week via Instagram Live. If you enjoyed this episode please find us over at Apple, Google, or Spotify and give us a follow after you leave a review.
Do you know someone who would make a great guest? Be sure to reach out and let me know.