What if I told you that a Husky and her human are on a mission to pioneer Therapy Dog work in Korea?
If that sounds intriguing, then this is definitely the episode for you.
In this 22nd episode of Therapy Dog Talk, I chat with Jeena (aka “Clinger”) and her Unimpressed Husky, Juno, about their inspiring journey to pioneer Therapy Dog work in Korea. Their story began with rescuing Juno just before she was set to be euthanized, and through dedication and hard work, they became a Therapy Dog team.
Jeena shares how she and Juno moved from Korea to London, where they discovered Therapy Dogs at a Pets As Therapy event with @dogfuriendly. Despite the challenges of adjusting to a new country, Juno’s love and support helped Jeena persevere. We discuss the incredible transformation Juno underwent, regaining the use of her back legs through physical therapy and eventually becoming an agility dog.
With the world shutting down due to COVID, their therapy work plans were put on hold. But when they returned to Korea, Jeena and Juno embarked on a new mission: pioneering Therapy Dog work in their home country. Through collaboration with others in their area, they’ve been able to create a positive impact and share their love for therapy work with more people.
In this heartwarming episode, we explore the challenges and rewards of Therapy Dog training, the impact of dogs on senior citizens in Korea and Japan, and the power of social media in building connections. After listening, you’ll walk away inspired by Jeena and Juno’s determination and passion for making a difference with their Therapy Dog work.
In this episode, we discuss …
- What it has been like to rehab Juno to becoming an agility dog.
- What it was like to work through the Therapy Dog training criteria on their own.
- How their experiences led them to pioneer Therapy Dog work in Korea.
Key moments you won’t want to miss:
- [03:42] Jeena talks about her big move with Juno from Korea to London and how it changed their lives.
- [05:38] Jeena shares how attending a Pets As Therapy event with @dogfuriendly introduced her to the world of Therapy Dogs.
- [07:58] Juno’s incredible journey through physical therapy to regain the use of her back legs after 8 months in a shelter.
- [10:24] The impact of COVID on Jeena and Juno’s therapy work plans, just as they completed their training.
- [12:50] Returning to Korea during the London lockdown opened up an opportunity for Jeena and Juno to pioneer Therapy Dog work.
- [14:28] Jeena’s boutique, Fur All Dogs, helps her build community with fellow dog owners.
- [15:24] Jeena and Juno’s rewarding Therapy Dog work with senior citizens at assisted living homes through a nonprofit.
- [21:42] The positive influence of dogs on senior citizens in Japan and Korea, highlighting the importance of their work.
- [31:57] Jeena shares the two most important lessons she learned while preparing Juno to become a Therapy Dog.
- [40:43] Jeena discusses how social media, especially Instagram, has helped her build friendships and connect with others.
I hope you enjoy this episode as much as I do. Give it a watch or a listen and then let me know in the community which part you found the most helpful!
Mentioned in this episode:
Rate, Review, and Follow the Podcast
Therapy Dog Talk is a podcast where I interview a different team each week via Instagram Live. If you enjoyed this episode please find us over at Apple, Google, or Spotify and give us a follow after you leave a review.
Do you know someone who would make a great guest? Be sure to reach out and let me know.