What advice do you have for a future Therapy Dog?
I decided to go with a trainer who that had experience with Therapy Dogs, she had a Therapy Dog, but I can’t emphasize enough just starting early, getting someone who uses positive reinforcement, and just taking your dog to as many places as you can.
In this third episode of Therapy Dog Talk, I interviewed Dr. Maggie Dou of @thattherapydoodle who shared:
- How she learned about incorporating dogs into her practice from a colleague.
- How you can get involved with @operation.sticker.licker, created by @mika_moo17.
- How she knew what to look for when bringing Dorothy into her life and work.
- Why they decided to go through @alliancetherapydogs.
- Their experience at The @txst Animal-Assisted Counseling (AAC) Academy.
How did you discover the role of Therapy Dog?
My daughter loved Read to a Dog Program, so there were some Therapy Dogs there and she had always wanted to visit with the dogs. I remembered that my colleague was incorporating a dog into her practice so I thought, “Let me just get it started.” The original intention was for Dorothy to work with me but along the way I also became very interested in volunteer work.
I hope you enjoy this episode as much as I do. Give it a listen and let me know which part you found the most helpful!
Rate, Review, and Follow the Podcast
Therapy Dog Talk is a podcast where I interview a different team each week via Instagram Live. If you enjoyed this episode please find us over at Apple, Google, or Spotify and give us a follow after you leave a review.
Do you know someone who would make a great guest? Be sure to reach out and let me know.
Why do you enjoy being a Therapy Dog team?
The smiles and joy when we visit with people. I mean, it’s just pure joy. She really loves it and the people that interact with her are just—I mean, it’s just mutual benefit.
Mentioned in this episode:
- The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs by Patricia B. McConnell, PhD.
- Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right by Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS
- Doggie Language: A Dog Lover’s Guide to Understanding Your Best Friend by Lili Chin
Disclosure: I earn commissions for purchases made through links in this post.