Sumbul helps Budge thrive as a Therapy Dog by recognizing his needs and setting boundaries.
In this 97th episode of Therapy Dog Talk, I chat with Sumbul about her journey with Budge, her English Bulldog, who transitioned from a family pandemic puppy to a beloved Therapy Dog. They are a certified team through Alliance of Therapy Dogs volunteering at their local hospice and on the DEN CATS airport therapy animal team.
Here’s a sneak peek of what you’ll hear:
Budge’s Adventures: Dive into the stories of how Budge brings comfort and smiles wherever he goes. From cheering up families at the Denver airport to his gentle presence in hospice care, Budge’s impact is remarkable. Sumbul shares a delightful moment, saying, “You should’ve seen Budge’s face at his first photo shoot – a total ham for the camera!”
A Learning Journey: Join us as Sumbul and I explore the fascinating world of support animals. She’ll clarify the differences between therapy dogs, emotional support animals, and service animals. It’s an eye-opening discussion, especially for those curious about the various roles animals can play in support and therapy.
Caring for a Therapy Dog: Sumbul delves into the unique aspects of working with a Bulldog in therapy settings. She talks about creating boundaries and keeping Budge’s needs in mind, ensuring he’s always happy, healthy, and able to give his best in every interaction. Her insights offer valuable lessons on the care and attention needed for therapy dogs to thrive.
You’re going to love the laughter and insights in this episode. Sumbul’s stories about Budge are not just heartwarming but also incredibly informative. Whether you’re a dog lover, interested in therapy dog work, or just in for a good story, this episode is a must-listen.
Don’t forget, you can catch all of Sumbul and Budge’s adventures on Instagram at @BudgeThePudge. If you’re wondering about stepping into the world of Therapy Dogs, let Budge’s story inspire you!
So tune in, have a laugh, learn something new, and maybe, just maybe, you’ll find yourself looking at your own furry friend thinking, “Could you be the next Budge?”
In this episode, we discuss …
- How Budge’s warm personality and adaptability make him an ideal Therapy Dog.
- The significance of setting boundaries and considering Budge’s needs during therapy work.
- Sumbul’s insights on the unique aspects of handling a Bulldog in therapy settings.
Key moments you won’t want to miss:
Note that the timecodes match the video, not the podcast.
- [00:00:49] Meet Sumbul and Budge: Sumbul introduces herself and her English Bulldog, Budge, sharing their volunteer work in Denver.
- [00:01:36] Life with a ‘Pandemic Puppy’: Sumbul humorously talks about how her children returning to school impacted both her and Budge, their ‘pandemic puppy’.
- [00:02:50] Budge’s Therapy Dog Journey: Sumbul discusses discovering the role of therapy dogs after adopting Budge and talks about their early training and certification.
- [00:04:45] Budge’s Therapy Dog Qualities: Sumbul explains why Budge is naturally suited to being a Therapy Dog, highlighting his loving nature and love for people.
- [00:05:46] Budge in Hospice Care: Sumbul shares the impactful experiences she and Budge have in hospice care, emphasizing the value of their visits to patients.
- [00:07:03] Therapy Work Logistics: A discussion on how Sumbul plans Budge’s volunteering in hospice care to match his abilities with patient needs.
- [00:09:05] Setting Boundaries in Therapy Visits: The importance of setting boundaries to ensure successful and positive therapy visits for both Budge and the patients.
- [00:09:43] Budge’s Memorable Hospital Visit: Sumbul shares a story of Budge visiting a labor and delivery unit, bringing joy to a family who are fans of the University of Georgia.
- [00:13:42] Frequency of Therapy Visits: Sumbul talks about aiming to have therapy visits with Budge at least once a week, fitting around their family and work schedules.
- [00:15:56] Budge’s Trading Card Photo Shoot: Sumbul recounts a funny story about Budge’s photo shoot for his trading card, showing his popularity at the Denver airport.
I hope you enjoy this episode as much as I do. Give it a watch or a listen and then let me know in the community which part you found the most helpful!
Mentioned in this episode:
- Alliance of Therapy Dogs (ATD)
- Denver Canine Airport Therapy Squad (CATS)
- Judy and Ricochet
- Nicole and Maggie
- UCHealth Pet Therapy
Rate, Review, and Follow the Podcast
Therapy Dog Talk is a podcast where I interview a different team each week via Instagram Live. If you enjoyed this episode please find us over at Apple, Google, or Spotify and give us a follow after you leave a review.
Do you know someone who would make a great guest? Be sure to reach out and let me know.