For Lindsay, becoming a school therapy dog team with her Blue Merle Aussiedoodle Tucker was challenging but worth it.
In this 46th episode of Therapy Dog Talk, I chat with Lindsay and her energetic Blue Merle Aussiedoodle, Tucker, about their incredible journey as a school therapy dog team in New Jersey. Lindsay, a special education teacher, knew from the start that Tucker’s high energy and intelligence meant he needed a job. After witnessing the positive impact therapy dogs had on students during a summer school program, she decided to train Tucker for this rewarding role.
Throughout our conversation, Lindsay shares the challenges and triumphs they faced during their two years of training. Tucker eventually became a certified therapy dog through Bright & Beautiful Therapy Dogs and now accompanies Lindsay to school every day. It’s evident that Tucker’s presence has made a visible difference in both the students and the staff’s mood.
We also discuss the importance of maintaining a strong bond between handler and therapy dog, and how Lindsay balances her relationship with Tucker at school and at home. Additionally, we touch on Tucker’s talking pet buttons and how they are tailored for the school environment.
After listening to this episode, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the dedication and patience required to train a therapy dog, as well as the immense impact they can have on students and staff in a school setting. Don’t forget to subscribe to Therapy Dog Talk for more inspiring stories and insights from therapy dog handlers and researchers.
In this episode, we discuss …
- Why Lindsay knew that her Aussiedoodle needed a job—and gave him two.
- What she did to help prepare Tucker to be a School Therapy Dog.
- How’s she’s implemented Tucker’s talking pet buttons at school.
Key moments you won’t want to miss:
- [01:36] Tucker loves being a therapy dog and going to school with Lindsay.
- [02:05] Tucker’s high-energy breed needed a job, so Lindsay trained him for talking buttons and therapy dog work.
- [02:52] Lindsay saw the positive impact of therapy dogs during a summer school program and decided to train Tucker for this role.
- [03:47] Lindsay hopes to volunteer with Tucker at children’s hospitals during school breaks.
- [05:08] Tucker improves the mood of the students Lindsay works with, helping their learning process.
- [06:34] At age two, Tucker passed his therapy dog evaluation through Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs.
- [07:18] Tucker behaves differently at school, knowing he must be calm and focused.
- [09:18] Bringing Tucker to school benefits both students and staff, making a visible impact on everyone.
- [10:48] Lindsay tailors Tucker’s talking pet buttons for the school environment.
- [12:00] Lindsay advises aspiring therapy dog teams to be patient during the training process because it’s worth it in the end.
I hope you enjoy this episode as much as I do. Give it a watch or a listen and then let me know in the community which part you found the most helpful!
Mentioned in this episode:
Rate, Review, and Follow the Podcast
Therapy Dog Talk is a podcast where I interview a different team each week via Instagram Live. If you enjoyed this episode please find us over at Apple, Google, or Spotify and give us a follow after you leave a review.
Do you know someone who would make a great guest? Be sure to reach out and let me know.